Update on Remington 1911 R1 Pistol | Personal Defense | Forum | Sportsmans News | Forum

We will give away more gear each and every month for those who participate in the forum. For every 25 forum posts, we will enter your name in the hat one more time for that month's giveaway. The more you participate, the better chance you have of winning.

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Update on Remington 1911 R1 Pistol
Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
March 31, 2012
8:36 am
m gardner
Mesa,Az

Forum Posts: 1236

Here's the latest on the Remington 1911 R1 pistol I bought a couple months ago.

feature=relmfu

March 31, 2012
8:48 am
sl-eye_noyes
Oregon

Platinum Member
Forum Posts: 3077

I think you should send the vids. into remington and maybe they can work on how to stop those burs from appearing. from your reviews and updates it seems like a great pistol. good luck on your future matches with it.Smile

March 31, 2012
9:01 am
m gardner
Mesa,Az

What I do for a living is develop and troubleshoot manufacturing processes for aerospace. So far any manufacturer I have talked to really doesn't care except the grip manufacturer. He actually contacted me when he discovered my comments on a youtube video that said the grips were so sharp that I cut my thumb on them (old people have thin skin) and said to sand them because they were meant to grip gloves and had a lot of bite. That really surprised me. From what I do know is that ammo and gun manufacturers are enjoying quite a holiday right now and making money and it costs alot to change any manufacturing process and they just don't really have to because they can't keep up with demand as it is. Problem is most of these guys that review products either don't test far enough, are not engineers, or outright lie about it. Here's Skingripz website. They really impressed me.

http://skingripz.com/home.html

March 31, 2012
9:52 am
paul
Mesa, Arizona

Platinum Member
Forum Posts: 1166

As allways a good video Mark. Having a backround that lets you spot a problem and then be able to fix it has got to be handy. Not to mention being able to explain it to somebody else (something I'm horroble at).

March 31, 2012
10:11 am
m gardner
Mesa,Az

Thanks Paul. Being good at explaining things was just a transition from failing miserably at it but just being too stubborn to quit and eventually having some success. Wink

March 31, 2012
12:05 pm
scarlino
Oregon

Platinum Member
Forum Posts: 1821

Looks like a sweet 1911 as well as one I might be able to afford.  Does it have the short grip safety and long hammer spur like the original that would bite the web of your hand or a more modern version.

March 31, 2012
12:47 pm
yotebooter
NW PHX

Forum Posts: 1073

Those are some cool looking grips. They must hav been pretty gnarly to cut your hands. You do alot of shooting.

March 31, 2012
3:02 pm
m gardner
Mesa,Az

The Grips had the tops of the machined out scoops left sharp and when you had to dig your thumb in around the grip to get it out of a concealed holster it would cut you if you hit it fast and hard. A little scotchbrite fixed it. I'll tell you one thing you won't lose your grip for sure once you get them in your hand.

The setup is WWII all the way. The hammer will eat you unless you bob it off.

March 31, 2012
3:46 pm
scarlino
Oregon

Platinum Member
Forum Posts: 1821

So do you bob off the stock hammer or replace it with a shorter one?

March 31, 2012
4:05 pm
m gardner
Mesa,Az

scarlino said:

So do you bob off the stock hammer or replace it with a shorter one?

You can replace it and may need to fit it to the trigger sear or buy a complete set from Brownells. It was cheaper to take it out and grind it without overheating it and rebluing it. Diamond wheels won't overheat it. Hold it in your fingers so it will get uncomfortable and you won't let it get too hot. I cooled it with water between grinding it freehand. I also took off the burrs that were left on the hole through it so it would rotate freely and recut the sear properly (recutting the sear is best left to a gunsmith, well, probably all of this is unless you have lots of machine shop experience). This all sounds very simple and you can read about it online and see videos from Brownell's and Wilson but it takes some expertise too. One thing to remember, this will void the warranty and it is illegal to alter a firearm and resell it.
Forum Timezone: America/Denver

Most Users Ever Online: 84

Currently Online: danjanovich, sl-eye_noyes
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

sl-eye_noyes: 3077

elkmuzzleloader: 2441

bluewater: 2140

scarlino: 1821

FlattenedGravy: 1621

wyflyguy: 1442

NEILT: 1194

paul: 1166

bomber: 906

shiveley: 888

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 171

Members: 13457

Moderators: 5

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 6

Topics: 2583

Newest Members: The Porcupine Girl, Bradley686, chpitts, bluiedbri, coozhunter, DaRat, dougmccabe, terroristshooter, leprechaunmagicRN, toddmaloney

Moderators: colorado hunter (2120), m gardner (1236), yotebooter (1073), millerk420 (621), LisaDeming (16)

Administrators: MTNHiker (10), Editor (1488), trophyhunter (227), danjanovich (197), lfriz (0)